Friday, January 20, 2006

Pillsbury

Have you seen those TV ads for Pillsbury® Grands® biscuits where the biscuit is made into a sort of empanada? I have seen them, was intrigued with the possibilities and decided to try it last night. I made up my own filling, chicken and squash. I cooked some boneless chicken thighs with onion and garlic, and then sliced up the chicken into very small pieces. After removing the chicken from the pan, I sautéed the onions along with some cut up bell pepper. The difficult part came next as I tried and failed at making the biscuits conform to a 6” diameter. Laurae did better than I and after some messy experimenting, I was able to close and seal the empanadas; but first I gave them a dollop of salsa over the chicken. They required a full 14 minutes before they were brown enough to call “done”.

Very tasty. But on my next try I will follow Laurae’s advice and brush the tops with egg white to polish them and I will use a food processor to better blend the ingredients into a manageable size. (The zucchini kept trying to escape)

No comments: