Thursday, August 18, 2005

Chicken was the entree for tonight's dinner and I did it a little bit differently than normal. Using foil, I created a packet to cook in. I added a boneless, skinless thigh, a handful of yellow and zucchini squash slices, some cut up chunks of tomato, some rough chopped red onion and 4 slices of avocado. A dash of olive oil and some of Pappy's vegetable seasoning was added before closing the packet tightly. Then it was into the oven (I used a large roasting pan) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. That was more than enough time and heat. My thermometer read 189 in the center of the chicken when I opened the package. But it was not overcooked, juices were running clear and the meat was very moist. I might try 35 minutes at 350 next time.

I served it in the packet, putting it on a plate and allowing it to cool for about 5 minutes. Very good! Although I made a slight mistake by omitting garlic.

I'm going to try the same thing with a thick pork loin chop; slicing it in half lengthwise and making two servings from the one chop. This form of cooking (en papillote) should keep the pork quite moist. And I need to experiment with other ingredients, perhaps some apple slices?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...I am going to try this on the BBQ WITH the garlic of course...hmmm....apple slices...how about peaches or nectarines? OR...peach sauce from TJs you shill you...?? Should I not put the garlic with the pork? Let me know before 4 pm Sunday ...when I am prepping of course.

Steven said...

Garlic and pork are good, but garlic and apples/pears and pork is not so hot. Here's what I did tonite. I used the aforementioned apples and pears, plus some red onion, squash and cherry tomatoes. Don't forget the spices! And I used a 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds scattered into the dish. I cooked it at 350 for 30 minutes and it was fine. In fact I am looking for some little covered dishes that I can use in the future instead of the foil.

Steven said...

Peach sauce...I saw that at TJ's and almost bought it. If I used it I would use it sparingly.