Sunday, September 16, 2007

I Scream for Ice Cream

I have had most of my coffee now; maybe one more cup before I call it quits for the morning. I was awake at 3 and my mind was quite active, even at that early hour and without any caffeine. I wonder what would happen if I were to stop drinking coffee? I may not need it and it would certainly save money if I gave it up. How much good would it do for my health? How about tea? Now there’s something to think about. The caffeine levels for tea are almost non-existent. But first I would have to get past the headaches that come with caffeine withdrawals.

I really do need to start thinking ‘healthy’ and losing the daily caffeine fix would be a good start. And eating better is another thing that needs to be done. We have been thinking about going back to the old days. The days of yore when lunch was dinner, or was it supper? Anyway, the bigger meal was at noon and a light meal was provided for the evening. We could do that.

Eating right is important; especially after yesterday, when we had a normal lunch and then had ice cream for dinner. Only ice cream. We were contestants in the annual Ice Cream Crank-Off at the church and I submitted two entries in my quest for the Golden Dipper (Or Scooper) award. My first entry was the winner; the Orange Marmalade Ice Cream, followed by a second place win for my Boysenberry Chocolate Ice Cream. I was on a roll. But seeing that there were only two contestants, it really wasn’t that hard. Especially as I was the only contestant using cream in my recipes. Heavy cream.

If you want to make this ice cream, use your favorite heavy cream vanilla recipe and make sure you scald the cream. Once the mix is chilled, add at least 8 ounces of King Kelly Orange marmalade. I also created a red/yellow blend of food coloring to give it an orange look. Do the usual mixing in your ice cream maker and then be sure to put it aside in the freezer to ripen for a day before you do any tasting. It will be worth the wait.

The award? I would have shown you the photo but the trophy couldn’t be found in time. Maybe later.

No comments: