Monday, March 30, 2009

It's Been a Long Time



I was supposed to make this my eating, reading and art blog...or craft blog if you please. I have left it alone for too long. So here's what I've been doing since I became less than mobile. Gourds. Canteen gourds are my favorite as I can sit down and work on them. Large watercolors, acrylics and stained glass require standing. Can't do that for long. Same with the step stool project. I have the legs for Shannon's step stool, but that is it for awhile (Stay tuned Shannon)

Anyway, the canteen gourds can be done in a minimum of time as they are only 6" in diameter at most. And each feels like a blank canvas, just waiting for me. They also work as pain relievers. I can tune out a lot of stuff when I'm working on one.

I've done a few larger gourds and I will include them here sometime...

This one, below, was one of my early ones and the macro view shows me some sloppy work. Darn! Well, it's the overall look that counts, right?

What are they used for? I fill them with sand and expect that they could be a paper weight.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

I especially like the copper on the top and the colors are amazing. What type paint? It looks much bigger than 6". It is great that you found something that allows you to leave the pain behind for awhile. It can be an Art Piece. If it must have a use (who says that?) A pin holder, paper clip holder, candy dish, gift box, treasure holder, jewelry holder ....on and on.

Steven said...

It's Perlacrylic...and my favorite new paint.

Kitty said...

This now sits in a prominent place in our living room. I love it!

Steven said...

Thanks! I did touch it up a little before sending it and I changed the wire on the stem...